Thursday, August 07, 2003

Tramlines, Cyclops and Trinity

Stepped for the first time on to a tennis court with my own racquet. Well, it has been a year since I actually bought it, but the Midwest Tournament last year and this year too had kept me off the court. I was too lazy to do anything more than the hour or two of cricket that the practice sessions afforded. But after much plans with two buddies, I just had to go today. And I enjoyed my two hours.

Make no mistake. I can’t serve to save my skin. I think I had just two legitimate serves in the four or five of the games I served in. All the rest, were double faults. Most of them even failed to enter the other half of the court while some really went past and were too good to be accepted as valid. But to compensate for this lacking, I seem to have a wonderful return of serve. Yeah, I know I am talking too much. I do this all the time, so don’t even bother telling me.

Coming back to the tennis, partnered one buddy for a single set, which we won, I think 6-2. We changed partners for the next set. My serving woes continued this set to and after much huffing and puffing by my partner, peppered with a few winners from me from all parts of the court, scores were level at 6 each. Then we decided to forgo the tiebreaker and after some more rallies found ourselves at 7 each and all the others ready to go home. Then it was decided that whoever wins the game wins the set and naturally we won, me doing the honors with a couple of magic shots and service returns.

I think the game of tennis has been enriched by the entry of a talented player into the fold. But then everything is enriched if I am around. Whatever, I am out, its so late here that I am falling over the keyboard. Have to catch some winks.

Update:

I just got in to fix the QOTD which I missed last night (early this morning) at 4:00 am. Here it is...

QOTD: "New Yorkers love it when you spill your guts out there [at Flushing Meadow]. Spill your guts at Wimbledon and they make you stop and clean it up." - Jimmy Connors comparing British and American attitudes to displays of emotion on court.

No comments: