Monday, February 10, 2003

The Naming Game

There is no greater pain than that which results from your name being mispronounced. All through the 24 years that I have spent on this planet, I have come across so many people pronouncing my name in so many different ways. So many, that a list of such names could fill 2 or 3 sheets of paper. Ok, I am not specifying any paper size, but as the writer, I have liberty in exaggerating the importance of my statements!

Usually it is only my first name that gets bastardized. As a result, I just ask people to call me Anti. But of late my second name has received its share of bastardizations. The latest in this list is "Superman". Though the alternate pronunciation feeds my ego, I still cannot understand how a simple name like "Subramanian" can be mispronounced. Hence I proclaim to one and all - I AM NO SUPERMAN!!

(P.S. But I could be "Supermanian" if you wish?)

Finally a quote to end the day !

"One must be a wise reader to quote wisely and well", Amos Bronson Alcott